Monday 1 December 2008

Entertainment this morning

I did some late-night shopping at the pharmacy last night: I needed some razor blades. However, even if I shave, I'm going to look pretty rough today, after the most bizarre night. I was woken up at about 4.40 this morning, as my nutty landlady decided she couldn't sleep, and started crashing around the kitchen to make herself a drink. There was no getting back to sleep after that. I think I only actually managed to get to sleep at about 1 anyway, so I'm in a daze at the moment.

In my awake state, I discovered that I really do get woken up by her before 7 every morning: her alarm clock goes off at 6, and I can hear everything that goes on in her quarters of the flat. Including farting when she goes to the toilet. That's the part that's really starting to get to me. I've seen the layout of her area now, after "fixing" her PC yesterday (I turned it off and then back on again), and I've learned that her bathroom isn't actually right next door to my room as suspected, but across a corridor. Maybe I should ask her to shut the door in future, so I don't hear her?

- - - - -

I logged on to the Guardian website and read the latest from Bangkok, and discovered that Google needs to tweak its adsense software a bit. The headline of the article was: "Thai anti-government protestors defy police warning to leave airports", and it had the subheadings: "Fears of widening unrest as blast injures 51 people" and "Emergency flights sent to pick up stranded tourists". And what are Google advertising below the article? Cheap flights to Bangkok! "Don't waste time! Book now!" Hardly appropriate, but it made me laugh.

- - - - -

Last night I watched the first TV show that's grabbed my attention in a while. It was totally sexist, but I can't deny that I love such shows, if only because they're honest in a way that other shows aren't (take news programmes, for example, and the abhorrent contradiction between the moral stance they take and the way in which they behave themselves...). The show is called "La noche del Domingo, con Gerardo Sofovich", he seems like an Argentine Bruce Forsyth (but not as charismatic as our Bruce). Two attractive girls with short skirts and amazing legs were playing ten pin bowling. I didn't really pay attention to the pretext for such entertainment: hearing one of them shout "LA PUTA!!" when she came close, but not close enough, to getting a spare, was entertaining enough. "La pucha...", Gerardo would remind her calmly, trying to get her to refrain from swearing on the live show.









There are the girls in all their glory. I think they must be B-list (and D-cupped) celebrities over here.

- - - - -

Anyway, our maid has arrived to hang out in the house all day, so I'm going to take a shower and then book myself into a hostel so I can maybe get some sleep... 

No comments: